Potato-Leek Soup


Today, I'm linking of with Kelly's Korner for her SUYL Soup link-up!  I made this last weekend again and posted this last year, but I wanted to share it again as it is wonderful and is great for lunch throughout the week.  I LOVE soup, especially vegetable ones, because I feel like I'm getting something good for me without eating a sandwich or salad all of the time.

I first made this a year ago when I put forth the effort to incorporate more fruits and veggies in my diet.  As someone afflicted with Crohn's, I have to be careful with eating vegetables and fruits, especially raw ones.  This recipe is actually based on one in my Crohn's and Colitis Foundation cookbook, so I felt okay trying it out when I was recovering from a bad flare and surgery.

Vegetables are good for us; they are not bad for us. Disease is bad for us, and you know why? Because Satan is the author of disease. God promised me the food of every seed-bearing plant and every tree that has fruit with seed in it (Genesis 1:29), so, by golly, I'm going to have them as food because He keeps his promises.  Besides, potatoes and carrots are easy on the stomach, and the leeks and onion are cooked well so as not to bother me at all.  I like this with some of those Sister Schubert frozen rolls or saltines!

POTATO-LEEK SOUP

-Wash and dice two leeks.
-Peel and dice a medium onion.
-Melt four tablespoons of butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven, add leeks and onion, and sauté until tender for 5 to 7 minutes.

-Add three and 1/4 cups of chicken stock or broth to the pot. Because we try to save money as often as we can, we use a chicken base from Sam's and mix up some water with it. I would, however, like to start making my own stocks someday in the future (I said this a year ago) because they offer some great health benefits. (That's why we eat chicken soup when we are sick!)
-Peel, wash, and dice four carrots and add them to the pot..

-Peel, wash, and dice three large potatoes or five small to medium potatoes and add them to the pot.

-Add 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of thyme, and 1 bay leaf to the pot.

-You may need to add a bit more stock or add some water to cover all the veggies. Heat to boiling, then cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes. Be sure to remove the bay leaf before serving!

Voila! You have easily made POTATO-LEEK SOUP!  It's not the prettiest soup, but this is just delicious, and the seasonings are just perfect in it. Thyme has become one of my favorites to use!  I think adding some kind of protein (probably chicken since chicken stock is used) would take this soup over the top.

Share Your Thoughts

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I will reply to you as soon as possible!