Be Grateful #14

In my part of the nation--that is obviously Arkansas since this is "The Pharr Side of Arkansas" :)  --it is officially Thanksgiving!  So HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU TURKEYS!  I hope you have a lovely day with your loved ones and eat and eat and eat...and eat and eat and eat...and eat and eat and eat some more.  ;)

This is the apple pie I made for our dinner.  I first made this recipe for Christmas in 2010, and it went over very well.  So I planned to make it for last Thanksgiving, but we know how that turned out.  I think it looks beautiful with the oak leaf, maple leaf, and acorn cutouts (along with three apple cutouts in the center).  Hopefully, it tastes as good as it looks!  (I'll let you know.)

This year, I feel especially thankful.  Last year at this time, I was hospitalized and battling the worst Crohn's Disease flare-up I've had yet, planning to beat it by starting Remicade.  Eventually, this flare caused perforations in my colon, which led to emergency surgery and a colostomy before starting Remicade about two weeks later.  I almost died last year, and I am so grateful that I am still here.  Things like that really put it all in perspective, don't they?  You can read more about those experiences life-altering experiences here.

1)  I am thankful for my Lord and Savior who loves me unconditionally and saves me moment by moment.  I really would be nothing without God.
2)  I am thankful to be alive and (pretty much) well.  :)
3)  I am thankful for my husband.  God really knew what He was doing when He made Zach and put him in my life.  Since we have been together, he has never ceased to amaze me with his love, kindness, intelligence, humor, thoughtfulness, quirkiness, etc. etc. etc.
4)  I am thankful for my mama and that she is doing better this year, getting back on track, having started some things over, becoming closer with my brother again.
5)  I am thankful for my family--whether by blood, law, or choice.  "No man is an island," John Donne once said.  Nor should he.  We need each other.  I am so glad I need them and they me.
6)  I am thankful for my friends and acquaintances who inspire me, like me, support me, and guide me.
7)  I am thankful for my kitties.  They are our babies, and it's hard to picture our life without them.
8)  I am thankful to have a home with food in our pantries, heat in our house, and running water in the showers.
9)  I am thankful for our Dyson vacuum, so Zach can continue to do a thing he loves (vacuuming--he is so weird, y'all!) and for my Scentsy warmer, so I can make our house smell like oranges, cloves, and cinnamon (Mandarin Moon).
10)  I am thankful for tomorrow, which is already today and will soon become a yesterday.

What are you thankful for this year??

Share Your Thoughts

  1. Happy thanksgiving, Ashley. I'm wishing you good health above all else. If I was closer, I'd be joining you for that delicious-looking pie. Thank you for our friendship! I so appreciate it:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your friendship. I've enjoyed your blog so much and am thankful that you have often inspired me to be better and push further. :) i hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'll let you stay! I've enjoyed reading your blog too even though my commenting has been sparse here lately! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I will reply to you as soon as possible!