Menu Monday: CANDIED ORANGE

Zach and I went on a day trip--well, afternoon trip--to Eureka Springs this weekend. We had planned to go on the Saturday before Valentine's Day, but the area's two feet of snow kept us, well, snowed in. Just like Arkansas weather, a week later it was in the 70s or so. It was a beautiful day, not overly sunny, which I don't like. (I like slightly sunny, overcast, cloudy, and/or downright gloomy days. *lol*)









We parked uphill and walked to the downtown area, snapping pictures (see above) and stopping into interesting shops. I was starving, so we got a soft pretzel because our favorite funnel cake place is closed for the season. :( We also went into Two Dumb Dames, one of the fudge and taffy shops.

Last time we came to Eureka, we learned that we should stick to more traditional flavors of fudge in smaller amounts because, the last time we came to Eureka, we got a pound of fudge with such flavors as pumpkin and mint chocolate--the last of which sounds good in theory, but the mint flavor was overpowering and somewhat artificial tasting. We threw most of it out. Of course, we had been to Eureka already three weeks prior to that trip and had just polished off the half-pound of fudge we bought then. You win some, you lose some.

So we got some tiger butter fudge for Zach and some dark chocolate and raspberry cream fudge for me. Then we saw CANDIED ORANGE slices dipped in dark chocolate.

Two of my favorite candies in the world are these:

This is one of my favorite candy bars, which I first discovered at Whole Foods. Then I found them at the Target in Conway. Now I can't find them at any Target. :( I love to take a small bite and let it melt in my mouth down to the orange peel. I love orange peel, especially in some biscotti.
[photo from here]

This Christmas we got three of these on clearance. That was amazing to us because sometimes you can't find them anywhere before Christmas. I got one of these several years ago, and l-o-v-e-d it. Then, as I mentioned, I couldn't find them again for awhile. What's not to love? You get to whack your candy to break it! This year I used one to make some decadent homemade ice cream.
[photo from here]

Zach loves these:
This is a British KitKat that we have been unable to find stateside. Zach brought back a ton when he went on his English trip, and I restocked on mine. Thankfully we have a family friend who keeps us supplied when she travels home to Scotland. (Thanks, Fiona!) I don't like KitKats, but I love these....though not as much as the husby. ;)
[photo from here]

So we knew we had to try a slice. For over a $1.
It. was. wonderful. We both went on and on about how sweet and fruity and chocolatey it was. Definitely worth the $1 unless...we could make our own.

CANDIED ORANGE
1 orange
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 sugar
chocolate for dipping (optional)

-Slice in the orange lengthwise (through the ends), then lay the cut sides down. Slice the orange into 1/4-inch wide slices, discarding the end pieces. Be careful to not cut them too thick or too thin.
-In a flat-bottomed skillet, mix water and sugar together and bring to a boil. Add the orange slices.

-Boil for 6-8 minutes, turning once or twice. Reduce to medium heat and continue simmering for 30 minutes, turning the slices occasionally.
-As the liquid thickens and becomes syrupy, reduce to low heat and continue cooking and turning until the oranges are translucent and the liquid is thick.
-Cool oranges in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to wax paper to cool completely.

-If desired, melt your choice of chocolate in which to dip the orange slices once cool. Lay on a clean sheet of wax paper to harden.

[1 orange]

I think these would be beautiful on a cake! Mine did not photograph so well above, not to mention the poor baby that got scorched. But they do look nice and pretty in person...and once you get them dolled up in chocolate!
What do you think? Have you ever had candied fruits before?

Share Your Thoughts

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I will reply to you as soon as possible!