R is for RASPBERRIES

My husband LOVES raspberries.  I actually don't think I had eaten a raspberry until I met him.  Wild, I know!  I used to not like raspberry-flavored things, especially blue raspberry-flavored things.  (Are there such things as blue raspberries?  I must know.  I know there are red ones [obviously] and black ones and yellow ones...but blue?)  But then the husby got me into raspberries, and now I adore raspberry-flavored things (I'm talking artificial here--I even like blue raspberry Icees!) as well as real raspberries in jams and desserts and snacks and such.  Ah, raspberry jam is sooo good.  And real raspberries are very good for you.  For one, they are HIGH in antioxidant (cancer-fighting agents) as well as Vitamin C and fiber.  Raspberries also offer such vitamins as folic acid and iron, which is good for me because I'm always anemic or borderline anemic...and can use all of the help I can get.  :)


We got these raspberries at the Farmers Market from the blueberry man, and they were so tasty!  I reserved some for us to snack on, but we decided to use the majority of them in raspberry tarts.  I know, I know, that isn't quite healthy, but we wanted to bring something special to the Gates' for Memorial Day and decided to use our tart pans finally.  I figure, if anything, we will still get some fiber and some vitamins from these.  ;)  And the tarts turned out FANTASTIC.  :)


baking spray
2 pie crusts (I used my KitchenAid Mixer recipe I always use.  This will also leave you extra crust, so you can bake the scraps after sprinkling them with some cinnamon sugar.  MMM...)
1 whipped topping container lid (to cut the crust for 4-inch tart pans--you can top the tarts with whipped topping as well!)
2 cups cold water
1/8 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups berries (can reserve a few to decorate the tarts)
mint leaves

Spray tart pans with a baking spray.  Roll out the pie crust.  Place the container lid atop the dough and use a knife to cut around it.  Place crust in tart pan, pressing dough against the sides and trimming excess from top.

Pour the water into a pan and whisk in the cornstarch until it is dissolved.  Add the sugar and berries and boil until the mixture is gelatinous and clear rather than cloudy.  (This took a l-o-o-o-ng time.)

Pour the filling into the tart shells and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.  Top with mint leaves, whipped cream, excess berries, or as desired.  :)

Share Your Thoughts

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I will reply to you as soon as possible!