F is for FRUIT SALAD

Fruit is the food that is digested the fastest while, I believe, meat is digested the slowest, because fruits are low in fat and meats are not.  (Fats take a long time to digest.)  A lot of people say that, when eating fruit, it should be eaten before everything else in a meal (or always on an empty stomach) so it does not ferment in one's stomach and cause problems like gas, bloating, and such.  I don't know how true that is; I've done a little research, and opinions are mixed.  If anything, I guess that eating fruit first, which digests the quickest, could mean that you could get a jolt of energy the quickest?  I don't know...

I have been eating fruit (and veggies) first, not because I necessarily believe it will ferment if I don't, but so I am certain to eat more of it by filling up before I dive into the rest.  (Then again, I consider my childhood, when I would always eat each food separately and would not allow them to touch...and my digestive tract was much better.  That makes me go, "Hmmm...")  Anyway, I am trying my best to get in my five-a-day of fruits and veggies, and in researching recipes this past week, I kept coming across some yummy looking fruit salads.  So I decided to make one this week!


Anything Goes Fruit Salad
several kinds of fruit (I used green grapes, 1 Granny Smith apple, 1 Gala apple, 1 quart of strawberries, and a handful of leftover raspberries.)
1 1/2 cups of yogurt (I used vanilla.)
1/8 cup honey (I used My Paw Paw's Honey that we bought at our Farmers Market.  :)

Wash, peel, cut, etc. fruit as desired and place in large bowl.  In a smaller bowl, mix yogurt and honey together and then mix into fruit.

This recipe allows you to use whatever fruit you have on hand or are in the mood to have, and I suppose you can change out the flavors of the yogurt as well.  This salad was very good!  (The picture is without the "dressing.")  My only complaint is that the dressing got a little watery in the bottom of the bowl by the second day, so next time I think I will keep it separate and add it as needed.  That would have worked just as well today when Zach and I both took some for lunch in separate containers...and then ate together.  *lol*  I am so eating the leftovers for breakfast in the morning.  :)

Share Your Thoughts

  1. Yum. Fruit is THE best thing ever! This looks so easy too, maybe this can be my lunch? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the easiest thing ever! (Minus preparing the fruit...just imagine if you bought pre-prepared fruit from the store!)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I will reply to you as soon as possible!