Menu Monday: P is for Pumpkin Chili

'Tis the season:


I PROMISE.  There is pumpkin in there.  :)

With the cooler weather this weekend, I was craving a soup.  Or a stew.  Or a chili.  *ding ding ding*  But I wanted to mix things up and try something a bit different than my vegetarian, three-bean chili with chocolate syrup.  (And I just realized I have never posted the recipe for that.  How silly of me!)

I was pleased when I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Chili.  It turned out DELIGHTFUL:  half-gourmet, half-cowboy, and 100% autumnal.  Let me know what you think!


PUMPKIN CHILI
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/3-1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 to 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1-4 oz. can green chilies
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup pumpkin puree
dash each: cinnamon, ground cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and ginger
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
2+ Tbsp. chili powder
1-15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese

-Saute bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic for about 5 minutes.
-Add ground meat and cook until done.
-Add tomatoes and green chilies and simmer for 5 minutes.
-Mix in broth, pumpkin, spices, and beans.
-Simmer for 20 minutes.
-Top with shredded cheddar and sour cream.

 photo b1ec0eef-a9ee-48d9-87d2-1285feb7aa0c_zpsd6f56ab6.jpg

Share Your Thoughts

  1. Chili is one of my favorites, and the pumpkin sounds like a great addition. I'll have to give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good! I'm regretting not entering it in our chili cook-off this week at work!

      Delete
  2. I never would have thought about adding pumpkin to chili, but think this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made some for a potluck, and we ate the "heck" out of it!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I will reply to you as soon as possible!